We imagine news as recent events on a national or global scale, yet any newly-published information could be considered news within a search engine.
Google, for some queries, shows Top stories or Interesting finds high on the 1st page of search results, especially mobile.
On a personal level, I’ve had fresh articles from my fitness blog, which focuses on evergreen content instead of current events, appear within these sections for niche topics.
Here are 5 SEO tips for getting your pages in Google News:
- Use Article structured data on your posts. NewsArticle schema works too but seems no better. These both highlight important elements like Date Published & Author Name. At the least, enroll in Google’s Publisher Center.
- Submit a Google News XML sitemap.
- Create author pages, showcasing their credentials, to improve Expertise, Authority, & Trustworthiness (E-A-T).
- Have mobile-friendly pages.
- Maintain a regular posting schedule.